Monday, December 5, 2011

A Hunters' Girlfriend



"I'm tired of deer season. I want my husband back and the nastiness in the garage gone."
-tweet from Miranda_Lambert


When I read this the other day, I knew exactly what she was talking about!!!
My wonderful boyfriend thinks that he was put on God's great earth to hunt, and occasionally fish!!

Now that hunting season has started here in good ole Virginia, I will know where to find him... in the woods!!!! Expect for the occasional Christmas party, my boyfriend will be a slave to his hunt club, their dogs, and of course the deer.  Some may think that this is a bad thing... but hey, now I have time to shop (for Christmas of course), craft, and do everything girls like to do, while he is out doing everything completely opposite of anything girly!!


But, when the shopping is finished, the presents are wrapped and the decorations hung, I am ready to have my boyfriend back, instead I still have weeks to wait until hunting season is over.  On a few occasions, I have thought that maybe I too should take up hunting.  Being from a super small town, girls going hunting was not something out of the norm.  I thought that I would start going to the club at night for dinner, wake up at a ridiculous hour on  Saturday mornings, dress in complete camouflage, and join him on the "morning drive."  Then I really thought about it, and laughed out loud because it was the most ridiculous idea that I had ever had!!  We have survived 7 hunting seasons without me having to partake in hunting, so why start now?? 


 So until then,  I will just continue to shop, craft, and be extremely girly.  And January 7th, will be marked in my planner with a huge circle with the description: The Day I Get My Boyfriend BACK!!

I will leave y'all with these lyrics to the song by the AMAZING Pistol Annies called "Hunter's Wife."  When I first heard it I cracked up because I know that will be me in a few (maybe more) years!!

Well, I'm sick of squirrel gravy and I'm sick of coon stew
Fence posts, shock collars, chicken wire, too
If he ain't a'huntin' he's out at the Lake
Suckin' on a long neck, changin' his bait
-Pistol Annies


Luckily when hunting season is over, I have a few months of him to my self before the weather is right for fishing... which begins an entire new story...


mSs

No comments:

Post a Comment